With the winter months coming quickly, we’ll all have to deal with freezing windshields, windows, and door handles. This is annoying to scrape off and wastes time in your busy schedule. There are multiple methods of dealing with a frozen windshield, but some can cause damage to the glass. Here are some examples of things NOT to do:
- Pouring hot water over the ice: the rapid change in temperature can cause the auto glass to crack or shatter.
- Tapping the ice to break it up: you need to be extra careful otherwise you could create a hole into your windshield.
- Using a metal scraper: using anything metal to scrape off the ice can make scratches into your glass.
The best methods are preventative rather than treatment. If you prepare your vehicle the night before the ice comes, you’ll save yourself a headache. Here are some preventative examples:
- Vinegar/Water mixture: use a mixture of 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 water and spray your windshield, windows, and door handles. Some would say that this causes pits in the glass, but there is no definitive evidence of this. Vinegar is even stored in glass bottles!
- Rubbing onion on windshield: this might sound strange, but take a half of an onion and rub it against the windshield of your vehicle.
- Parking inside: the easiest method is simply keep your vehicle from the elements. Park your vehicle inside your garage and close any windows that lead to the outside.
If you are unable to prevent any ice from forming on your windshields and forced to remove it, here are some examples of things that won’t cause damage to your vehicle:
- Pouring cold water over the ice: the cold water is still above 32°F/0°C and will melt away the ice, but isn’t so extreme that it will crack your windshield.
- Using a plastic scraper: the plastic will not make scratches into your auto glass. Also a plastic bristle brush helps out.
- Defroster: simply turn on your car a few minutes earlier than you normally do to get your car warmed up. It only takes about 5-10 minutes.
If you ever have a crack or damage to your windshield or windows, give H-A Mobile Auto Glass a call and we’ll come to you and repair or replace what is needed. Our service teams are professional and quick! Call 404-610-1366 today! H-A Mobile Auto Glass services the Atlanta area including Lawrenceville, Norcross, Lilburn, and Snellville.